Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Secret Ingredient: Twine



I saw this Ikea Lack table covered in twine sisal over on IkeaHackers, and I was instantly in love.  A) it looks super sweet and B) I already had one of those tables.  Having pawned off it's POS coffee table mate on my parents, I just had this random black table.  Boooorrriiinnngggg.

So, I filed this idea away in the ole memory bank, bought some jute (which is smaller, and now that I'm looking at this picture again I realize why mine took forever and a year to finish ... no really.), and promptly set about not getting started until late one night when I didn't want to go out.

Anyway, here's my version.  It now holds my super sweet printer scanner.


I modified the original directions because there was no way in tarnation that I was going to glue all the twine down.  So I just glued it at the top and then I spread some glue over the twine every so often as I wrapped.

Notes:
1. I took the legs off to wrap them, so I could just twirl them around.

2. I wore latex gloves so I could smear glue under the twine as I went.  I pretty much just squeezed some glue onto newspaper and dipped my finger in every so often.






3. I couldn't figure out how to make the top square without actually gluing every strand (and, I repeat, there was no way in tarnation I was going to do that). So, I used some carpet tacks (tiny little nails - these are what you get when you go to home depot looking for upholstery tacks (another story)).





4. I basically held the tacks over the table using a pliers to hold them in place, then I hammered them in just a bit, then I wrapped the string around them and then hammered them in all the way.  You can get away with doing a few tacks at a time, you just have to do them from all sides.

5. this literally took forever and a year.  I ran out of twine when I was halfway through the top and really didn't want to deal with those stupid little tacks anymore, so I just put a placemat on top of it and no one was the wiser.  .... But then I did, eventually finish it.




Detail of the top

No comments:

Post a Comment