Sunday, June 9, 2013

Warning: Explicit Content - Mason Jars

Everyone is obsessed with mason jars lately.  Mostly I think the ideas are cute but - since I'm not planning a wedding any time soon - irrelevant.  I have to admit, I did jump on the bandwagon when I saw a mason jar which was spray painted with words embossed on the side (see: http://bit.ly/11OUBcg).  I instantly loved these but I really am not the type to have the word 'love' spelled out anywhere I live... that's about as likely as me throwing a tupperware party.

Cheeky Mason Jars

I gathered my supplies: three mason jars (I have no idea where three came from, that's just how many I bought), some puffy paint, and black matte spray paint.  I was all ready to go!  But then I couldn't settle on what to put on the jars.  Sure, they only cost a dollar or two, but I didn't want to mess them up.

At first I thought I would just put some symbols - I really like the ampersand (&). So I was thinking: # & @.  Unfortunately for me, I cannot draw at.all. so those simple symbols turned out to be overly ambitious.  So I put the project away and didn't come back to it for months.

By the time I got back around to this project, I was back in school for the semester and not too happy about it.  I'm not really a school person, and I'm pretty sure (judging from their content) that it was getting close to #finalz time, so I was extra angsty.  And I must have been listening to a lot of Drake and Rihanna.

I settled on: f*** that noise, &, and #yolo.  The first is a lyric in a Rihanna song that I've always loved, to me it just says: "f*** the small and insignificant stuff" and/or "f*** what other people say."  People that know me think these are very fitting.  I love that they're explicit, but the black matte paint doesn't draw attention to them.  I also tried to soften the blow of the expletive by writing it in cursive.

Process: I drew on the jars with a marker that rubbed off until I got something I liked, then I went over it with puffy paint, then when that dried I spray painted it.
Mason Jars on my desk.  The black matte makes it hard to read what they say unless you're up close.

No comments:

Post a Comment