Sunday, June 2, 2013

String Art

A few months ago I invited some friends over for a 'crafting brunch.' We'd been discussing it for a long time so I decided to make it happen.  We all chose different crafts to do, and brought our own supplies. It was a nice break from law school and we all walked away with something fun.

Closeups of my string art and a visual of the wall they're displayed on.

I settled on a string art project I'd seen on Pinterest (http://bit.ly/102wYTD).  I'm a huge fan of boats and I love the simple lines on these, but I thought I should start out with a little less ambitious of a ship design than in the tutorial.

All I needed was a canvas, some string and some glue (note: hot glue probably wouldn't be good for this because it dries so quickly and you might need to move some things around as you're working).

I ended up using two canvases I already had from when I moved into my apartment.  My mother always paints the walls in our houses 'musiln white,' which is really just pale yellow, so I'm not used to staring at white walls and I guess I was a bit overwhelmed by all the blank wall space (I was used to living in a tiny studio in NYC, so moving into a (GASP!) one-bedroom in Durham was a huge change).  I was so desperate to get things on the walls to break up all the white that I picked up these awful flower paintings at the local Goodwill and put them up until I could find something better.

The point is, I had these two matching canvases sitting around (because I did find something better). I was going to take them back to the Goodwill they came from, but I thought that not only would using them for this project be economical, but I'd really be doing the world a favor by getting rid of two tacky paintings.

Before: Tacky Flower Canvases

I pretty much followed the tutorial at the link above, except I used a cream colored yarn instead of string.  The hardest part was finding simple enough pictures to use as a template.  I ended up googling children's coloring book drawings because I figured those would have simple lines.  It still took awhile but I'm really happy with the finished products. 

I really want to make some more, but I'm already running out of space to put things and these are so simple I could see my apartment becoming overwhelmed by string art!  Maybe when I finish all the projects I've got in progress now I'll make some to give to friends or sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment